Thursday, October 11, 2007

The problem with health care in this country...

I just went to the dentist and I am fucking pissed. She installed 5 fillings. After it was all over, I went to the front desk and was asked to wait while they have to calculate my co-pay. This did not bode well. I waited for a while, getting more and more annoyed that I'm missing time from work. Then the bitch told me that I owed $232.00. Because my insurance doesn't cover "white" fillings, only metal fillings. This is AFTER they already did it. So I'm forced to pay. Then I complained to the actual dentist and she gave me the standard line that "how was she supposed to know what your insurance covers" and "it's your responsibility to find out how much a procedure is going to cost." Totally ignored the fact that was hornswaggled and she knew it.
Moral of the story: get an estimate from your doctor like they are a fucking mechanic.

The debate can go on and on about how to resolve our health care crisis, and I don't know what the solution is. But I think the fundamental problem with the current system is that there is no accountability. The doctors and dentists screw the insurance company. The insurance company screws the customer. The customer screws their dog. It's all circular. Don't you think it's weird that you aren't the one paying for services rendered to you? Isn't it strange to think that your doctor and you often work in cahoots to wring more money out of the insurance company?

I was told a story recently where a doctor routinely charges exorbitant amounts for a visit, knowing full well that the insurance company will only pay the average price/visit. He doesn't do this to screw the customer, because he won't force the customer to pay the balance. The sole reason for charging high is so said average price/visit goes up and the doctor can make more money off the insurance company. Our system is that fucked up.

In order for a true capitalist checks and balances to work, there needs to be no middle man. Or at least, the middle man needs to be divested from your employment. Very few people have the financial freedom to quit their job and get a new one based solely on how the medical benefits perform. If we shopped for medical insurance like we did for car insurance, there would be accountability. If there's accountability, there might just be some change.

And I'd also like a pony.


And some cool ranch Doritos.

3 comments:

kristin1724 said...

I'm with you! You get an estimate from the guy who works on your car or your house. If you buy something in the store, there is a price sticker on it. I think doctors should either had you a price list for their services or have to give an estimated cost BEFORE the procedure/service.

Dave just had two wisdom teeth yanked. The dentist charged him $195. We get the insurance statement for the procedure. According to our insurance company, we owe $75. I had to call the office and ask them to send us the difference. They were just going to "credit our account". Like I'm gonna leave a $120 credit sitting in the dentist's account instead of my own pocket!

Andrew said...

Next time we meet, I'll come bearing a pony or the Doritos.

Ian said...

I don't have Health Insurance...haven't for 8 years. Fuck you HS...fuck you!