Tuesday, December 13, 2005

LaughDance revisited...

After the initial excitement of getting that call, I began to worry. The "audition" was at New York Comedy Club, where only the best comics perform. That's a mother load of sarcasm there, if you didn't catch it. The NYCC is possibly my least favorite place ever created by human hands, second only to a bar in Kimball, Nebraska.

My misgivings were proved correct. At least 50% of the performers on my last show at the Improv were called to "audition" on Sunday night. I was not in some exclusive group. It seems they called everybody who got at least one laugh (that left out the 50+ schoolteacher and Mr. Will.) As if that wasn't bad enough, they announced the order for the "audition" show (you like how I keep putting that in quotes? I'm so pretentious) I was second to last on the list. That is probably the worst postition, because I didn't even have the dubious distinction of being the last comic, which might garner me a few more laughs.

So anyway, I did my set, and I killed. Or at least I did good enough that I wasn't going to go buy razor blades. I gave the dude my phone number and I split, trudging into the cold New York wind. I doubt I'm going to get any call. But there it is. My first brush with the biz. It's all uphill from here.

<>

No comments: