Friday, April 07, 2006

Random thought


Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person in my gym who's rocking out to Weird Al's "Theme from Rocky VIII."
"So today, his deli comes first.
Still he dreams of his past days of glory.
Goes in the back and beats up on the liverwurst,
All the while you can still hear him say:


It's the rye or the kaiser, it's the thrill of one bite.
Let me please be your catering advisor.
If you want substitutions, I won't put up a fight.
You can have your roast beef on the rye,
Or the kaiser."


Wise words from a man who knows how to ski.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I saw Weird Al in concert in the summer of 2003, and it felt like he was just going through the motions. Or maybe that I was a little bit older and less appreciative of his juvenile-skewing schtick. But I'll always give him props as a wordsmith. Compare the lyrics from "Bad" to his "Fat," and you too will be awed.

Greg Tito said...

Perhaps it is better to burn out than to fade away, both for real rockers and satirical ones.

I don't see Al overdosing or shooting himself in the head, but it would be better for him to be killed in some bizarre hamster accident, than to be shambling about the stage when he's sixty like Mick Jagger, barely able to hold up his accordion.