Monday, May 07, 2007

Hard-Hearted Hannah

The play was set in the twenties, the roaring variety. It was fun to craft a play based on who I had available and the crazy criteria they threw at me. Rehearsing a play I just wrote in one of the actress's small studio (we're talking 8x10 here people) in the low-income housing built in the old Times Square Hotel is something I'll remember for a while. As I will also remember watching them perform it just a few hours later. They did the best they could with the difficult twenties slang, and the time they had to memorize it, but my god, it's hard to watch people viciously paraphrasing your shit just to get through the scene. But they ponied up, and finished with gusto. I'm proud of having done it.

The title is based off a Jazz age song most famously sung by Ella Fitzgerald. The play was a bit based off of it and I liked being able to use something to frame the idea. Of course, the sound cue got screwed up at the end so nobody heard the dang song but whatever. Here it is, you can listen to it now.

No comments: