Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The theater, the theater...

Even though I've been focusing on the comedy deal the past few years, my roots are in the crazy new york off-off-off-broadway theater scene. And even before I moved down to the city, I was steeped in theater all through high school and college. Some of my favorite memories involve lightning choreography sessions for Herod's number from JCS, writing obscene graffitti all over the set of Oklahoma and staying up for 36 hours straight building the set at Ivoryton Playhouse.

And this week, I'm bringing the theater back. This week, I will turn back into a theater dork. I will be quoting Monty Python and obsessing about gel pens with overweight stage manager chicks. I will be carrying around lekos and flicking my gerber. I will be slamming doors people and I will be a prima donna. I will be in black face.

The Decameron
Thursday, 5.3.07 @ 7pm

136 2nd Ave. (Betw. St. Marks and E9th)
I am working with my old friend, Oliver Butler, on making his company's new play get up on stage. The company is called The Debate Society, the play is called The Eaten Heart and it boasts the best promotional photo I've seen in years. They are holding a party/performance/fundraiser tomorrow and, not to meld worlds a little too much, there are quite a few comedians on the bill like Mike Birbiglia and Christian Finnegan. See you there.



Select Talent Showcase, with MC Julianne
Thursday, 5.3.07 @ 9:30 – 11:30 pm.
Broadway Comedy Club

318 W 53rd Street, b/w 8th 9th Avenue
Also on Thursday, I will be reuniting with my wife, Mrs. Morelli. Julie Giragosian, a high school classmate, actually is a performer and comedian here in the city and I HAD NO FUCKING IDEA. Well, I do now, and I will be busting out of the fundraiser to perform there. Cover is cheap, booze is flowing, and I will be dancing to the tune of "I Don't Kno How To Love Him."



Fast Food
Saturday, 5.5.07 @ 7pm
Emerging Artist Theatre
311 W. 43rd St, 5th Floor Between 8th and 9th Avenue.
The theater which ran my marathon comedy sessions last month is holding a timed playwriting festival. I'm a playwright, I get a few criteria on Friday night and I have to write a play in 12 hours. Then a director and actors rehearse it and it goes up on stage at 8pm on Saturday, a mere 24 hours after I got the assignment. Sound like a good time? It is. What's better than watching disasters? You can't take your eyes off 'em. So come to EAT on Saturday night to watch my train wreck and 6 other masterpieces.

2 comments:

Francois said...

Hey
Hope you re doing well. Let me know next time you raise funds. I might be interested!

Nancy Michaud said...

It's a small world here on the INTORNET!!!! I thought about Julie Giragosian today and decided to google her name to see what she was up to and I came across your blog. Greg, you may not remember me personally, but I am "Nora's Little Sister" and I worked as a makup girl for Jusus Christ Superstar. I may have even slapped some pancake makup on you.

I will have to try and catch a show when I am in the city again. Take care,

Nancy