Thursday, February 15, 2007

Myspace works!

So my buddy and I were gchatting the other day and he was like, I think this is someone we know. Tru nuff, I jump over to the "mah space" and see none other than my ex-wife smiling back at me. Julie (as we called her then, and which is very different from Julianne) played my wife in our high school's production of Lend Me A Tenor. If you don't know, (and why would you really?) ...Tenor is about a philandering Italian opera singer, Tito Morelli, and the crazy mixups that happen when he comes to New York. It's a farce people, slamming doors, mistaken identities, black-faced Italians, wait what? How did we not get shot for that?

Julie played the Mrs. Morelli to my Tito (I swear I got cast just so there weren't two Titos in the room) and we were always fighting. On stage, not off. We had such great Italian accents, too. Julie won the CTC award for Best Supporting Actress for that role. What did I win? A big sandwich stuffed with Fuck You. (Actually, I won the nerdiest quartet of awards: Best set and set design for both the play and musical that year.)

Back when I first moved down to the city, this would be the pre-911 summer of 2000, I randomly ran into Julie in Union Square park. I was on break from my first gig as a P.A. at the Century Center. She was an intern for VH1 I think. She was still in school and we had a moment of, Greg? Julie? Weird. What are you doing here? I always remembered that chance meeting as a Welcome-to-New-York-Moment, no matter that you are in this crazy new bustling city full of millions of random souls, you will still see people who knew you were a drama dork in high school.

So it was nice to see Julie's mah space page and think back to all the crazy shit we did in high school. (We didn't have sex, no matter what that previous sentence implies.) As I scanned her page, I realized that she is still in the city. Not only that, she's a fucking comedian. Or comedienne, as the case may be. I've been doing this for two years, and it's a pretty small community. I can't believe that we haven't run into each other at all. It's seems like it's reverse dumb luck. We used up all our coincidence juice when we saw each other in Union Square.

Myspace helped us out and fought through all that bad coincidence mojo. This is maybe the first time that I've used that crazy site for actual god-damned social networking, instead of just cruising for hot 13 year olds like I usually do. Maybe my friend Tom actually knows what he's doing. I dropped Julie an email and she shot back an invite to be on her show at the Broadway in March. Here's the skinny (I'll prolly send an announcement later on but here's a tidbit):

March 15th from 9:30 – 11pm at the Broadway Comedy Club (318 W 53rd Street).
Regular Cover, two drink minimum.

It looks like she's booked more of a variety show, with singers and improv groups (OH MY!), so if you're thinking you want a little change of pace in the comedy stylings you should come on down.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

I remember presenting you with the Lymie "A big sandwich stuffed with Fuck You" Award. As I recall, you were never happier.

kristin1724 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kristin1724 said...

Was that the year the CTC's were at Stonington? Cause I think I had to hand you one of those awards.

And as for your friend Julie, I think she might have dated this guy Jay from my high school and they did some Waterford week play together or something.

Greg Tito said...

I do enjoy fuck you sandwiches. Or as Rachel Ray calls them, fuck you sammies.

I don't remember if they were in stonington that year. Probably. And Julie did date that dude Jay, and now they have babies. Muppet babies.